Friday, 28 June 2013

Deploying a WSP to SharePoint 2013

How to deploy a WSP to SharePoint Farm Solution library

This need to be done on the Server which host the SharePoint Central Administration.
  1. Add the WSP to the SharePoint Server
    1. The first thing you need to do is copy over the wsp deployment file. The best things to do is to create a deployment folder, where all the deployed files are kept.
    2. Copy over the deployment files to: c:\Deploy\WSP
  2. Add the WSP to the SharePoint Farm Solution library
    1. Open “SharePoint 2013 Management Shell “ as administrator
      a. Open the Search on Server 2012
      b. Search for “SharePoint 2013 Management Shell”
      c. Right click “SharePoint 2013 Management Shell”
      d. Select “Run as Administrator”
    2. Run this script: 
      Add-SPSolution "c:\Deploy\WSP\{file name}.wsp"  
  3. Deploy the WSP to the SharePoint Farm Solution library
    1. Open Central Administration
    2. Click “System Settings”
       photo Picture1.jpg
    3. Click “Manage farm solutions”, under “Farm Management”
       photo Picture103.jpg
    4. Click on the {file name}.wsp package
    5. Click “Deploy Solution”
       photo Picture106-1.jpg
    6. Deployment settings
      Deploy When: Now
      Deploy to: All content Web application
    7. Click “OK”

How to activate the WSP Feature on the Site Collection

  1. Activate the WSP Feature on the Site Collection
    1. Open the Root Site (the Site Collection)
    2. Click the cog, in the top right corner (Site Actions)
    3. Select “Site Settings”
    4. Click “Site collection features”, under “Site Collection Administrator”
    5. Go to {file name}
    6. Click “Activate”, to the right

40 comments:

  1. Perfect. Thanks for posting this. Exactly what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I have the WSP deployed in the Solution Management but when I go to the Site Collection Features it's not listed there for me to Activate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WSP is for a site and is imported and activated in the site collection. But when trying to create site I can't find it in the list of templates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very simple and clear. Really Appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how can we deploy the wsp in Sharepoint 2013 office 365 account

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well detailed, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Jax, it helped me and saved time....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to say "THANK YOU" for taking the time to post this. Very clear and straightforward. You saved me lots of time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great article! Your quite the expert. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exactly what I needed! Clear and simple. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jax thanks for your post but when i am deploying the solution its saying access denied and also i am getting problem in activating the site features, please help

    ReplyDelete
  13. File name not found in Site collection feature. Please help!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I also have the access denied problem when activating in the Central Administration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. THANK YOU! I keep forgetting the "run as administrator" when I run the SharePoint Powershell. None of the other "how to's" mention the run as admin, just tell you to run the SharePoint powershell. I don't know why I keep forgetting - You think it would be imprinted in my brain by now sine EVERY single time I use it I forget and have to figure out why I keep getting an "Access Denied' error.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent! Thanks for this - I've been looking at this feature for ages. Followed your instructions and it works a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bravo! super clear instruction n exactly what i need!

    TQ very much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, this helped us greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Jax, thank you soooo much. It was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. SharePoint Solutions.NET is a virtual company provide SharePoint Services Globally. We offer a wide array of Services covering the entire range of Microsoft SharePoint capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please take your unpurchased advertising attempt off this article.
      It is not remotely relevant to the topic of this posting.
      You reap where you did not sow.
      Shamey shamey!
      I am not sure I even like you any more.

      Delete
  22. I was messing with this all day and it turns out I was missing one step. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very helpful. Saved so much time for me! Will be watching your blog for more!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you very much and well detailed

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very helpful article and easy to understand appreciate your work

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great stuff again. Thanks for making time to write these articles. You will be my number one resource, Looking forward to more articles
    sharepoint 2013 administration certification

    ReplyDelete
  27. Спасибо большое!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. ADD-SPSolution -Literalpath C:\Deploy\WSP\WSPDemo.wsp

    ReplyDelete
  29. When i try to deploy ".wsp"SOLUTION TO sharepoint 2013 , get this error. kindly provide solution.

    Warning: Deploying this solution will place assemblies in the global assembly cache. This will grant the solution assemblies full trust. Do not proceed unless you trust the solution provider.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have imported and activated the .wsp but how do I get it to run in my new site? I am a novice so there is a great deal I do not know...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi

    I dont see the file under
    Site collection features\Site Collection Administrator

    What can i do to activate it

    ReplyDelete
  32. use commands to add, deploy or others , only best match SharePoint 2013 Management Shell. the siteAdmin not really good to!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's interesting that many of the bloggers to  helped  clarify a few things for me as well as giving.Most of ideas can be nice content.The people to give them a good shake to get your point and across the command.
    Sharepoint Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.Thanks for sharing this information,this is useful to me...
    Android Training in Chennai
    Ios Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete